Sunday, 4 March 2012

I'm just mad about Saffron

With the emergence of the Crocus' in the garden at this time of year I was encouraged to use Saffron in a wholesome warming dish to conteract the damp, drizzly March weather outside. With images of the exotic spice in my head, I trundled off in the rain this morning to the local farmers market in search of inspiration.

Upon entering I was greeted by a pescatarians dream of a stall piled high with fresh crystal eyed 'fishies' in all shapes and sizes. I instantly knew I had to cook a Bouillabaisse inspired dish laced with saffron.

Armed with my catch of John Dory, Sea Bass, Squid, Crayfish, Mussels and few Langoustine I scuttled back home and an hour or so of rattling saucepans ensued. The great thing about Bouillabaisse is that it doesn't matter which fish or seafood you use, it's all about having the freshest fish you can get. There are so many different recipes, I like to make it with herbs fresh from the garden and a generous splash of Pernod and Cognac. Served with a crostini or large chunk of bread on the side along with a homemade spicy Rouille. Bon appetit.

12 comments:

  1. Looks so delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT JUST MAKES YOUR STOMACH RUMBLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did't invite me! Hump.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and Saffron's mad about me :-) The Bouillabaisse looks very alluring - and with so many different fish it must taste delicious! I love the colour that saffron adds to rice etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, please invite me over next time you do one of your bouillabaisse. It looks deeeelish! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, The boillabaise looks delicious and with cognac and pernod too, mmm. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really go for lavish meals in a big way, I love that. Jem

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, that looks wonderful, I love the balancing langoustine.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there no end to your talents. Please make room for me at your table next time you cook this. Pretty please.

    ReplyDelete