Sunday, 18 March 2012

Japan Gelato Day

Sunday brought us typically bracing March temperatures, nevertheless we braved the seasonally snappy weather in the shadow of St Martin-in-the-Fields in Central London after being invited to sample the latest offerings at Gino Gelato who were celebrating the start of Hanami.
Hanami is the traditional Japanese Cherry blossom viewing season which only lasts a couple of weeks whilst the 'Sakura' or Cherry trees are in flower.

Gino's got together with 'Masterchef' contestant Aki Matsushima and champion gelato maker Palmiro Bruschi to create ten delicious Japanese-themed gelati and sorbetti and were on hand to talk about their creations. I've never seen such frenzied ice cream consumption with queues stretching way out into Adelaide street. The great thing about the event was that there was a tasting station outside enabling you to try before going inside to purchase.

We managed to sample most of the gorgeous flavours on offer with Plum Wine & Honey Sorbet and Red Miso & Caramel coming out tops. I did think that they might have tried wasabi and ginger flavours but they were nowhere to be seen. I'm already looking forward to Gino's next special event. Great fun, lets hope they make Japan Gelato Day an annual event. Next year I'll pack my thermals for this one!
 

11 comments:

  1. Even the names of these ice-creams are melting on the tip of the tongue! And the air is warm enough to feel the desire to queue up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say Wow! These gelato photos are incredible. I love gelato! Such a fun celebration- your photos show that you had a great time.

    Your blog is WAY cool! I'm sorry to be so long in making my visit here--- a million reasons to be slow- one of them that there aren't enough hours on my day- lol!

    I'm happy to say that I'm your newest follower- cant wait to see more of your offerings here. I think I could stay here all day--- if only I could!

    Xo
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your article and had to go to Ginos this week to sample their gelato, the Pistaccio and Amareno flavours were to die for, love the fact you can sit inside too. Thanks for the tip. Daphne X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thats got to be some tasty gelato to brave those temperatures:)
    I've heard about Ginos but haven't been, its on the list now. I can't belivev how many people are queuing up there, amazing! I would love to try the Basil sorbet. Yummers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos, sounds like a lot of fun, how do you find time to do all the stuff you do, its incredible. All the gelato sound very tasty. I'm not sure about rice in my gelato, I'd go for the Green Tea everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy!I want 3!haha... Jelly; p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I've never seen so may people queuing and eating ice cream even in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of this place it sounds so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gino's look like quite a fun place, certainly busy even for the time of year. Good gelato is good gelato though whatever the temperature outside. SW

    ReplyDelete
  10. MMMmmmm Miso and Caramel for me and then a green tea and then a basil sorbet!!!
    M

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love gelato, green tea sounds very tasty. I'd like to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete