Sunday, 25 March 2012

Squid Ink Sunday

Its Sunday and a visit to the trusty local farmer's market was in store for culinary inspiration this morning. My favourite fishmonger had just arrived with a beautiful catch of glistening squid landed in the pretty fishing town of Looe in Cornwall.

I knew I had a recipe that I had saved for Squid Ink Risotto which I could twist to go with spaghetti. So todays late lunch turned in Spaghetti al Nero Seppia with a Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper sauce.

I tried to crisp up some fresh spinach to add a cunchy seaweed element to the dish but it did not go to plan. So instead i sat the blanched squid on a bed of shredded fresh spinach without the gold leaf from the original recipe. Who has gold leaf in their cupboard I ask you?

The original recipe image had a red puree/sauce surrounding the pasta without details so I blended some skinned roasted red peppers and tomatoes, reduced with a garlic, white wine and dressed with a little truffle oil.
Bon appetito!

 

12 comments:

  1. Paul, I am amazed. Squid ink recipes usually look a complete mess on the plate but you've managed to make it look really quite beautiful. I like the way you simply blanche the squid as the pasta is quite rich already with all the ink and the red pepper and tomato sauce just lifts the colour.

    Daphne XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this plate! It's so delicius!!! kiss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowsie, wowser! I would be delighted to be served this meal, it looks incredible and it sounds really delicious and thats a great photo you've taken. I'll book a table for 8pm please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The meal looks really really delicious.

    I like the way you balance flavours and keep the meal appealing to the eye at the same time. yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Paul,
    strange as it may sound: your meal reminds me of a special Japanese porcelaine, and Meissen here in Germany has a pattern that is called 'Red Draggon' - the same effect. Very clear, very beautiful - and very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How neat! Thanks for sharing Joann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your squid makes for such a beautiful dish. So top chef!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This really looks the business!Can we come round for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It look delicious, congratulations on a beautiful dish. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I might give this a try, I'll let you know if a make a big mess:)
    Jem

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love squid but never had squid ink. Looks delicious. Invite me next time.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are very brave to take on such a difficult recipe, not only the flavour but also as the first comment from Daphne says it tends to end up looking very ugly on a plate. You have succeeded in making it look beautiful and complex at the same time, you must have taken great care to achieve this.

    ReplyDelete