Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Think of Wordsworth....

"Think of Wordsworth" she said in Autumn "and then turn around and double your order, no infact triple your order of Daffodil bulbs".

These were the words that echoed in my head whilst visiting the RHS Daffodil show in Central London this week. The words that I have come to know annually from a wonderful client as we work together to transform her London garden every Spring into an ever growing ocean of yellow Daffodils.

Hundreds of Daffodils, Narcissi, Narcissus, Narcissuses or whatever you like to call them were on show lined up in regiments according to rank and division in all their glorious shapes, sizes and colours, raising their trumpets to introduce their arrival. Most of my 'Daffs' are just past their peak in the garden so to see such a fanfare like this en masse is quite something especially the white petalled variety which I prefer.

I love the legend and folklore attached to plants and flowers and the tale of Narcissus is one of the most memorable, our young Greek friend who whilst kneeling and gazing into the pond became so obsessed by his own reflection that he fell into the 'drink' and drowned and from there sprung a beautiful plant. Belonging to the same family as Amaryllis and consisting of a centre cup or bowl or trumpet surrounded by three petals and three sepals, who can deny him his beauty. Find some space in your heart, garden or a vase for poor old, gorgeous, handsome, Narcissus!






10 comments:

  1. What beauties. Never been one for the big yellow daffodils but now I see them in a new light, thanks Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous colour palette. I had no idea there were so many to choose from. Jem Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful display of narcissus Paul! The double variety in your mosaics almost looks like a rose. I never realised they were family of the Amaryllis. Learned something new again today :-)!

    Happy evening,

    Madelief

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful colours, you manage to make Daffodil even more tempting with these beautiful photographs.
    I would never have guessed they came in such a variety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Paul, for the folk lore lesson and the beautiful pictures. I bet that show is fantastic. I have a little yellow vase, with a few little yellow beauties in it, sitting in my dining room window as we speak..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great post, these peachy and pale pink Narcissus/Daffodils are very pretty. Its not unheard of for some of the fancier varieties to cost $40 per bulb. Did you do any shopping?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness- were you in daffodil heaven or what!! Such beautiful pictures- so many varieties!! What a wonderful way to start your spring!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Paul,
    thank you for the lovely post! For this abundance of beauty I quote instead of well-fitting William Wordsworth's lines - "Ten thousands saw I at a glance/ Tossing their heads in sprightly dance" - Alice Oswald on the fascinating subject of Narcissus:
    "Once I was half flower, half self,
    That invisible self whose absence inhabits the mirrors,
    That invisible flower that is always inwardly
    (...)"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing! I would love to see next year. When I was in London back in early March, the daffodils were just starting. My favorites are the whites: Mount Hood & Thalia. I have those planted en masse in my white gardens. Loi in DC

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I never knew there were so many different kinds of daffodil.
    S

    ReplyDelete