Monday, 7 May 2012

Beaton's Bluebells

One of my earliest memories of my father is of him showing me Bluebells growing wild in the hedgerows but until now I had not seen a woodland bursting with them at the peak of perfection. So this weekend I dug out my wellies to visit the Arlington Bluebell Walk & Farm Trail.


Situated in Beaton's Wood,  East Sussex the ancient woodland covers an area of 23 beautiful acres of coppiced Oak and Hornbeam. The wood is open for 6 weeks during April and May allowing visitors the opportunity to wander along the ancient meandering tracks and marvel at a carpet of wild, native English Bluebells as far as the eye can see and in the process raising funds for local charities.


I hadn't quite imagined the effect of seeing these plants en masse, visually the impact is quite overwhelming and the scent of millions of Bluebells wafting gently over you in waves is an unforgettable experience. Although you could probably walk the route in an hour or so, we were blissfully unaware of time and spent several hours wandering around, even happening upon a woodsman working an old fashioned lathe who made the grave mistake of offering me the chance to turn a chair spindle, which now bears a rather large gauge across it! Oops!

www.magicalchristmaswreaths.co.uk

7 comments:

  1. Dear Paul,
    that must be a dream-view, these masses of bluebells! No wonder you forgot time there. Next to symbolize love, the blue flower of the Romantic Period is also a symbol for peregrination, so beware... "...but I long to see the blue flower" says Novalis' youngling Heinrich in 'Heinrich von Ofterdingen'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, I can't imagine how beautiful the Bluebells much be in such large numbers. I have one tiny clump that was a surprise in my garden. I think they might have been mixed some daffodil bulbs given to me by a neighbor. I keep thinking I'll separate the clump from the daffodils, but I'm afraid they might not like to be moved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing images. I would love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very romantic way to spend the afternoon wandering through a forest full of blubells as far as the eye can see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh... The beauty of England! I've never been, but I can imagine! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh oh oh--- these photos are magnificent. I'd love to take a walk along that trail- the color is outstanding. Your photos make me want to be there right now. Beautiful - just beautiful!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. So magical. What I would do at this very minute to be walking barefoot through a bluebell wood. Such a beautiful post.
    S

    ReplyDelete