Sunday, 3 June 2012

Elderflower Champagne Day One

Ingredients to make Six Litres of Elderflower Champagne: 

  • 4 litres hot water
  • 2 litres cold water
  • 700g sugar
  • The juice and the zest of 4 lemons
  • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • About 16 elderflower heads, in full bloom
  • A pinch of yeast (you may not need this)


  • Method to make Elderflower Champagne
    1. In a spotlessly clean clear or white container, dissolve your sugar in 4 litres of hot water, stir and then add 2 extra litres of cold water.
    2. Stir the Elderflower heads. Vinegar, Lemon juice and zest into your water and sugar mixture.
    3. Cover with a clean piece of muslin, leave to ferment in a cool, airy place for a couple of days, check fermentation then leave for a further 5-7 days.
    4. Prepare 6 x 1 Litre bottles preferably with swingtop lids or large plastic torpedo shaped bottles ready to decant your fizz into in about a week's time.

    At last the Elderflowers were ready to pick a few days ago and so the alchemy began. We are actually at day three in the process and tiny bubbles are appearing on the surface of the brew to which I did add a tiny pinch of yeast to kickstart fermentation on day two. So far I think all is going well and I shall now put the solution away and wait until next week when we should be at bottling stage. Stay tuned for the next scintillating episode of Moonshiners! We'll have to wait until October to see the finished result....!


     

    18 comments:

    1. This seems so complicated, but your layout is so pretty. Thanks for your blog visits I always look forward to your funny comments...that kid is on his way to golf college by the time glass is in, probably need to worry about hail in our part. Hope you are celebrating jubilee, that seems so gosh dang fun

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I have perhaps made it sounds more complicated than it is. Just throw it altogether and cross your fingers:)
        Bon Jubilee!

        Delete
    2. How lovely this sounds! We have elderberry bushes near us and I have had elderberry tea and elderberry jam but have not heard of elderflower champagne. It sounds delightful and a lot more fun!!
      I hope you are enjoying a wonderful jubilee weekend.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Elderberry Jam sounds delish. I do hope you share your recipe.

        Delete
    3. It sounds very interesting. I love the photos! Have a great week. Pamela

      ReplyDelete
    4. Dear Paul - I have made Elderflower cordial this weekend. I have done a post - not posted yet, but after seeing your wonderful photos I feel mine are not up to scratch. However, it might prove interesting for a comparison in the different techniques and ingredients.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Dear Rosemary. I'm really pleased to hear that you are playing with Elderflowers too. This has been a new adventure for me and I look forward to hearing and comparing stories.

        Delete
    5. Ahhh.
      And I do so love champagne!
      Happy Jubilee to you!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Your images are SO pretty. Even if the champers doesn't turn out perfectly I know you're having a fun time 'moonshining"!!!!!

      Cheers Paul - and did you watch the pageant in the rain?

      Mary

      ReplyDelete
    7. This looks very interesting, I am familiar with Elderflower but I do not know where to get it in the U.S. I will have to find some to try this.

      Have a great week Elizabeth

      ReplyDelete
    8. Hi Paul: I probably wont make any elderberry wine or champagne but I am very much enjoying you making it. Happy Monday..Judy

      ReplyDelete
    9. I must come back and see how your elderflower champagne turns out!

      ReplyDelete
    10. Dear Paul,
      coming back from a little journey, elderflowers are in full bloom everywhere. I love their scent and their beauty and the good spells they add to garden and house (yes, they do! old folk wisdom). I am very curious how your experiment will work out (I think: well).

      ReplyDelete
    11. So--- can you walk a straight line after drinking this stuff? I'm all about the elderberry jelly myself -- totally addicted to it - my very favorite. Have it every morning before I go to work on a peanut butter sandwich--

      Bon Jubilee back at you ---

      xoxo,
      Vicki

      ReplyDelete
    12. Yum yum! I don't think they bloom here.

      ReplyDelete
    13. Every year I mean to do this and seem to never find time then miss the flowers. My neighbour has just started some off. Will I have time this year??

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, you should still have time.
        Try to use the freshest open flowers you can, no buds and no flowers that are going over.
        We're going to make another batch this weekend too. Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

        Delete
    14. Ooh thanks for the tips about the flowers Paul. I'm going to do it! And thanks for the reminder of your giveaway, somehow I managed to completely miss that. x

      ReplyDelete