Saturday, 21 June 2014

Grow London Garden Show

I've just returned home from the launch of the Grow London Contemporary Garden Show. The first of its kind in London, brought to us from the brains behind the Affordable Art Show. Exhibitors provided temptation at every turn ranging from a wonderful selection of plants to hardware, garden design to exterior furniture. The exhibition celebrates all things horticulturally modern with a soup├žon of traditional handcraft for the budding window box gardener right through to those with a little extra outdoor space within the metropolis.


Bronzino had a gorgeous selection of edgy containers. I have fallen for their copper riveted cauldrons. Contemporary exterior accessories and furniture company Barbed exhibited their stylish products. This rather smart hose reel would look great at Magical Manor.


I am always in awe of anything made by the human hand and watching Peter Dibble make his willow Basketry was quite mesmerizing. I have tried my hand at basketry before, lets just say I should leave it to the experts!


Having just been introduced to Sneeboer's hand-forged Dutch garden tools, I am now a convert. Local boutique, Judy Greens Garden Store had a gorgeous selection of pots. Some of her bud vases found their way into my shopping bag tout de suite.


Katie Wright AKA Blacksmith Munro showcased some of her magical designs. Her work is bringing a fresh modern twist if you pardon the pun, to the ancient craft of blacksmithing. We had a little natter and I am kicking myself now for not making a purchase. I feel a commission is in order.


Know as "The prettiest shop in the UK", Burford were on hand with a wide range of quirky hand selected products, beautiful plants and their infamous vintage Citroen Van. 


My posterior was firmly plonked on these rather cute pebble cushions from the Modern Garden Company after doing two loops of the show. They would look great in the garden in summer.


I love the movement of Rachel Ducker's wonderful windswept wire sculptures and can see how they would instantly transform a contemporary urban oasis.

The pinnacle of the show for me was to get to see Derry Watkins of Special plants who as per usual had the most incredible selection of perennials. I run into Derry from time to time at fairs up and down the country and love visiting her Wiltshire Nursery, never failing to leave empty handed. Unfortunately I was far too busy filling my giant shopping bag with her plants to take a picture but it was a great way to end the day.

There is still one day left to see the exhibition, so you better get growing.

The Contemporary Garden Fair
Fri 20th - Sun 22nd June 2014
Hampstead Heath
London
NW3 1TH

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun show. I saw your photos on Instagram. The gardens in London must so blooming now. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Paul,
    to use teacups for orchids is a bright idea that I will copy instantly. The "stone cushions" I have seen in Berlin too - fascinating, though I have no place for them. And Sneeboers garden-tools I gave (with a heavy heart) into the hands of our renters in Hildesheim, where they keep (my) the garden very nicely.
    The Bronzino containers are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see some wonderful garden decor. I like the round (are they copper?) planters in the first photo. You might be interested in my post I did today, Paul. I hope you stop by. Have a lovely week. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garden items for the chic! How cool!! I need that hose reel and the Dutch tools and Katie's pretty dress. The dress for cushion covers, of course :) Ciao ciao

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so disappointed Paul that I missed this gorgeous looking show! I do hope it will happen again next year. I always love the 'Affordable Art Fair' and am not surprised that the brains behind that have come up with this stylish show. LOVE that hose reel!


    Sophia x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paul,
    Am so pleased that you reviewed this garden show - it looks fab.
    I would have loved to have visited - but had a heavy date with some horse manure !!
    Hope you have a lovely week,
    Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul- what a wonderful show-- your photos show some great displays-- love that yellow car! All the flowers and the containers are so creative-- looks like a great show:)
    Xoxo
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete